Thursday, April 14, 2005

Star Wars

I was about 3 years old when the original Star Wars came out and can’t say I picked up much of the hype then. It was The Empire Strikes Back that was probably the first movie I ever saw in the theater. I must confess there is still apart of me that wants to be Princess Leia when I grow up. She was strong and dedicated to her cause, but still feminine; she could fight off Imperial Storm Troopers just as well as her cohorts, Luke Skywalker and Han Solo. Plus do it all, for the most part, in some form of dress or in the case of Return of the Jedi, almost nothing (I can’t say I would ever want to wear anything like that in public, much less around my brother!).

I am sure someone can poke holes in why Princess Leia was a good role model. In my view, she had a high level political position which was pretty cutting edge for that day; she was able to keep up with the men and still could show a compassionate side. Plus she fell for Han Solo (though I did personally have a crush on Luke Skywalker when I was 7) how much more of a superwoman could she be? Battle the evil forces of Darth Vader, be the youngest senator ever in the Imperial Senate and still have time for romance?

Now that my 4 year old is getting into the Star Wars trilogy, we are watching the movies. I find I am the one drawn to the Star Wars toys at the store. I have to regulate myself. Truth be told, I haven’t exactly grown up. I am not sure this part of me ever will. One of the things I love about being a mom is reliving my childhood a little with my children. It is so amazing to get down on their level and see it through their un-jaded eyes.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:19 AM

    Yep, one of the really good parts about having kids! Except this time YOU have the control and can make it more to your liking.
    blue2go

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hans was my crush and let me just say he is STILL handsome, but this comes from someone who thinks Sean Connery is da bomb. He just has to say a few words and I still melt.

    Children have a way of making us young again, and they are not even aware of it. I so enjoy taking my son to the movies and watching his face and expressions just as much as the movie. Now if I could just get him to realise that the theatre is not home and he has to talk softly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The biggest mistake I ever made was getting rid of my Star Wars collection in the late eighties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh.... I feel ancient.

    ReplyDelete
  5. KarbonKountyMoos said... Sigh.... I feel ancient.

    Me too! She was 3? YIKES! I'm a fossil.


    Anyway, Rachel, thanks for the feedback, and if you say much more, I’m scared I may have to bookmark your site and bring me to a dozen daily reads! Not sure your up to it, but you strike me as someone I would have a lot to talk to about childhood, and god, good and bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel ancient also. I feel older than Yoda.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fossils??? You guys are funny. If it makes anyone feel better, I feel like I have had enough lifetime experience to be in my 40's. As you can tell, though, I have trouble acting like 30. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never got into Star Wars either. The first one was made in the 70s though, right? Cause so was I.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have trouble acting like a teenager... Oh, wait, maybe it's acting like a teenager that is causing the trouble?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You sound just like me! I was almost 9 when the original came out and I was gaga for it all from the first time I saw the Imperial Destroyer firing upon Princess Leia's ship. And I had the wild crush on Luke Skywalker, too! My boys (3.5 and 6) love the newer movies that are out and occassionally ask to watch the original trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your post. I LOVED SW when it came out and my son loves it too. We are both eagerly awaiting the arrival of the new one! I can totally relate about reliving our childhoods with our children. It's great.

    YAY!

    My mom never could understand all the hoopla over it either.

    ReplyDelete