Friday, November 19, 2010

Rachel's Vegan Taco/Chili

I was working on trying a raw veggie/fruit week and the cold weather got to me. I'm pretty sure  I was born in the wrong state. And somehow I have yet to leave this frozen tundra. 
So I made tacos because what else warms up a cold body better? Okay, I could think of a few other things, but I am not spending my whole day at the gym (as much as I would like to). A spicy taco made life a little bit warmer for a few minutes. 

Note: this could also be put in the slow cooker in the morning and you can come home to a chili in the evening.

Veggie Taco (or Chili)



1 chopped zucchini

1 chopped yellow squash

(Chopped carrots optional – cook longer if adding carrots)

3/4 to 1 cup of fresh salsa

¼ a cup chopped fresh cilantro

1 can of rinsed and drained red kidney beans

1 can of rinsed and drained black beans

½ packet of Trader Joes taco seasoning or equivalent seasoning packet

¼ - 1 cup of water or vegetable broth – use your judgment if your making chili or taco's



Throw everything in a pot, stir occasionally over medium heat.

NOTE: Eyeball the water (or broth) to make sure you have enough so nothing burns.



Cook on stove top for approximately 15 minutes or until it seems done to you.



I add Agar-Agar to thicken it towards the end.



Oh – almost forgot

This is the vegan 'cheese'. It is soy and casein free.










 

1 comment:

  1. This looks SO yummy and it's not even slightly cold here today. I'm going to try it for sure since Dave's TMJ is pushing us towards "softer foods" lately. Also forwarding to a friend who is sure to like this.

    ReplyDelete